The login screen in Windows 8
Windows 8 divides login process into two screens.
- User Selection Screen – This screen lets you select a user from the available accounts.
- Password Input Screen – This screen prompts you to enter the password of the selected user account.
User Selection Screen
There are two users in the system as shown above. Selecting any one of them will lead you to the login screen, which will ask you the password of the selected user.
Password Input Screen
This screen provides you with a maximum of 3 login options – if you have configured all of them, of course.
- Normal password – The default password of the account.
- Picture password – A picture overladen with 3 user-defined gestures. A gesture can be anything – a circle, straight line, or a tap.
- PIN – A 4 digit numeric code for quick access.
Entering the correct password/PIN will lead you to the home screen. Otherwise, it will display an error message informing that you have entered an incorrect password.
The picture password is the most interesting login option. To setup a picture password, you need to choose a picture and set 3 gestures on the picture. That can be done in PC Settings. Once that is done, you can choose the login option in the login screen.
Microsoft has enriched user experience in Windows 8 to a high extent. Login screen is the best example of this. Having three types of login options, especially a picture password, will prove really interesting to users.