It is the Metro counterpart of the traditional Control Panel. It gives you access to all the settings related to Metro interface and applications. As a surplus, it also provides you an easy access to basic and commonly used system settings.
How to Launch It
- Invoke Settings Charm either through the Charms Bar, or using the key combo “Win + I”.
- Select “PC Settings” option located at the bottom-right corner of the Settings Charm pane.
It will launch the following Metro window
Components of PC Settings
PC Settings provides you with a plethora of customization options. Unlike the jumbled mess of traditional control panel, the setting options are neatly grouped in a relevant manner. The sections are as follows.
You can customize your user account to your personal taste. This section provides settings to customize:
- Lock Screen – Change the wallpaper of lock screen, customize the apps for which notification widgets are shown on lock screen.
- Start Screen – Choose a color scheme from a specific set of schemes.
- Account Picture – Select a picture from your file system, or click a fresh picture if a camera is connected.
Customize your own account settings.
- Change your account type to either local (where account settings stay on your system) or a Microsoft Account (where account settings are synced through all the machines that you have logged in using Microsoft Account).
- Choose different sign-in options like normal password, picture password, and PIN to log into your account.
Also, you can add a new user for your machine.
This sections lets you choose options like whether to show applications notifications or not, whether to play sound for notifications. It also lets you specify for each Metro app, whether or not to show its notification.
You can customize search settings like clearing search history, customizing search suggestions provided by Windows. This section also lets you toggle application-specific search for each Metro app.
This section lets you customize settings for Share Charm. It lets you decide the arrangement of the apps to be displayed in the Share Charm. It also lets you specify which apps are to be used for Share Charm.
Customize the machine related settings here. You can change your language options and time zone. Besides that, this section provides to refresh your PC (a system reset without loss of personal files), or the nuclear option to reinstall Windows.
You can specify if the Metro apps can use your location. You can say yes/no to the apps wanting to use your account name and picture.
All the devices connected to your machine, like mouse, printer, monitor, etc., are listed here. You can add or remove a desired device in this section. You can also specify if these devices can download data when your system is using metered internet connection.
Turn on/off all wireless communication in this section. You can also turn on/off individual wireless device like Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth, etc.
Ease of Access
Set your accessibility settings like contrast of the display, large textual display, or cursor thickness. Also, you can set the launch settings of Narrator, Magnifier and On-screen Keyboard.
Sync Your Settings
If you use a Microsoft Account for login, then this section lets you specify what things you want sync. The options include desktop settings, passwords, language preferences, app settings, browser settings, system settings, etc.
This section lets you create a HomeGroup if your machine is not connected to one. It also lets you specify what data – documents, music, videos, pictures, peripherals – you want to share in HomeGroup.
This section lets you check if there are any system updates available, and installs them if so.