Microsoft has released Lync for Windows 8.
Microsoft Lync is their corporate chat, video conferencing and VOIP solution. It’s also fully integrated with other Microsoft software including Exchange and SharePoint.
The app has a Modern UI, but it will also work in the traditional desktop if you install Lync 2013 as part of a Microsoft Office 2013 deployment.
Microsoft lists its features as:
- Communicate from anywhere with an Internet connection.
- Easily switch between IM, voice, or video or use all at once.
- Stay connected to your colleagues with real-time status updates, rich presence information and fast and fluid contact list search and management.
- Join Lync Meetings with a single touch and easily switch between IM, group video, and content views.
- Stay connected while reducing resource consumption — Lync provides background and connected standby connectivity so you never miss an important conversation.
- Use Windows search to find and communicate with your colleagues.
- Snap view — Need to reference another app or website while using Lync? Lync can snap to the side of your screen so you can multi-task and use both apps at the same time.