Microsoft’s anticipated press conference as part of IFA 2014 Berlin just concluded, and the company had a lot to share in terms of new devices and new statistics regarding its mobile ambitions.
Sure, the main talking points were the new smartphone launches.
But the technology titan also shared a lot of details regarding the Windows Phone platform in the keynote, including highlights of some of the new features coming to the mobile OS, and where Cortana will be available next, and more.
Here are some talking points:
- Around 500 apps are added to the Windows Phone Store every day.
- Lumia Denim is the name of the next firmware.
- It will be available on flagships like the Lumia 930, 1520 and Icon first and foremost.
- All Windows Phone 8.1 devices will get it in Q4 2014.
- Cortana heading to Australia, Canada and India next, as beta.
- More European locations to be added next.
- The voice assistant can be launched just by saying “Hey Cortana”.
- A number of speed improvements for the Camera app.
- 4K 24fps recording capabilities soon.
- It is possible to save “Action shots” from above video recording. Impressive.
- A new feature “Dynamic Flash” ships with Lumia Denim.
- Microsoft Screen Sharing for Lumia Phones HD-10 accessory announced.
- Skype calls right from Cortana.
- And 3 month unlimited worldwide calling subscription for all new Lumia purchases.
- Finally, Lumia 730, 735 and 830 smartphones are now official.
Microsoft wrapped it by saying that they are proud to innovate at the entry level segment of the market, which is not something that can be said for companies like Apple and Samsung.
Now that’s what you call being on the right track!
Overall quite an action packed press conference. And although the company did not talk all that much about the Windows Phone market share maybe that is for another day.
What do you make of everything that was announced? Charmed?