What do you call the new UI in Windows 8? The start screen UI? Modern, Metro, something else?

This is a bit confusing since all of us early adopters learned to call it Metro only to have that ripped away for various reasons. Since this change, there has been a bit of confusion as to what we call the UI and design language, though they consistently seem to refer to the UI as “modern” these days.

Microsoft briefly referred to the interface as the Windows 8-style UI, then they called it the Modern UI. The later of these has somewhat stuck around. Now, Microsoft is starting to call the design language the “Microsoft Design Style”.

This terminology is showing up in reference pages in the Development center and in the “Index of UX guidelines for Windows Store apps”. It isn’t 100 percent clear whether this name will refer to the design language or the start screen UI as well.

I like the direction Microsoft is taking the new interface they are introducing– but I’d like have things straightened out a little when it comes to knowing what to call this thing. If some online sources and manuals are calling it “Microsoft Design Style” and others are calling it Modern or even Metro, there is potential for confusion.

Sure, most non-techies won’t care and will likely just call it the Windows 8 Screen— but I’d still like to see some consistency from Microsoft here.

I’m at the point where I am starting to just refer it to the Start Screen and Start Screen apps. What about everyone else? Anyone still calling it Metro, or what term has ‘stuck’ for you?

[ source ]
Related Posts

What would you say to a consumer version of Microsoft 365? One that could include Windows...

Brace for impact! It looks like Microsoft may have had enough of the Edge adventure, as a...

Looks like Microsoft is aiming big! The company is said to be working on Windows Lite, an...

  • Creag Emmons

    According to a friend who works at Microsoft, they are calling it “Tiles,” at least internally.

    • http://www.windows8update.com/ Onuora Amobi

      What’s scary is I cant tell if you’re joking…

      • kane


    • Robert Kegel

      I’ve been calling it the Tiled start screen. I think Microsoft should stick with that.

  • 1stkorean

    I call it Mobile UI

    • http://www.windows8update.com/ Onuora Amobi

      That might be a name for it EXCEPT for the fact that a lot of metro is used by PC’s and other non-mobile devices..