Q: What editions are available for Windows 8?
A: There are four editions now available.
- Windows 8: For consumers
- Windows 8 Pro: For business and technical professionals
- Windows 8 Enterprise: For enterprise customers with software assurance
- Windows 8 RT: For use on devices with the ARM processor (mostly tablets currently)
Q: How do I upgrade from Windows 8 Consumer Preview (CP) or Windows 8 Release Preview (RP) to the Released-to-Manufacturing (RTM) version of Windows 8?
A: There is no upgrade path from Windows 8 Consumer Preview or Windows 8 Release Preview to the Released-to-Manufacturing (RTM) version of Windows 8. If you have already installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview or Windows 8 Release Preview, you will be required to perform a clean install. The installation process will automatically create a Windows.old folder that contains all files from your Windows 8 Consumer Preview or Windows 8 Release Preview installation.
Q: How can I evaluate Windows 8?
A: You can download and find out more information about the 32-bit or 64-bit 90-day evaluation of Windows 8 Enterprise edition here.
Q: What are the Windows 8 Enterprise minimum system requirements?
A: Your computer must meet the following minimum requirements:
- One (1) gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor
- One (1) gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 20 GB available hard disk space
- 1366 × 768 screen resolution
- Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
- Internet access (fees may apply)
- Microsoft account (LiveID) required for some features
- Some features such as touch and Client Hyper-V may require advanced or Windows 8 certified hardware
- The Windows To Go feature requires advanced hardware. To learn more about USB drives certified for Windows To Go, please visit www.microsoft.com/WindowsToGo.
Q: Where do I find the Start button?
A: The Start button has been replaced by the Start screen- the “Metro-style” tiled interface.
Q: Where can I purchase Windows 8?
A: You can purchase and install Windows 8 at major retailers such as Amazon.com and in the Microsoft Store.