I got asked about this one so I’ll post it here.
I don’t like this commercial because it absolutely violates all the rules of marketing a business device.
The Surface Pro is meant to be a “real” device that people can get work done on. The hip hop and break dancing demographic is traditionally not associated with work and productivity.
That demographic is associated with fun and levity – i.e. the Surface RT.
The truth is, Apple and Google are running much better commercials for their products because they are:
- Actually speaking
- Actually targeting the right demgraphics
- Hitting their keywords
- Pushing their intended concepts
For instance this ad that ran during the Grammys:
The difference is clear. They put you in a position where:
- You see scenarios where the product has value.
- You see the value the product can add to your life.
- You see objects you can relate to (Subway, Restaurant).
- The actors speak aloud.
What do you think of the Surface Pro ad?
Use the comments below…