A new Windows 10 preview build is in town! Microsoft has released Windows 10 build 16291 to the Fast ring of the Windows Insider preview program, and this new arrival comes with something new.
Something new in the form of a feature.
As Microsoft detailed in the announcement post, there is one small feature that has gone live as part of this new build. But otherwise, this is very much part of the series of quick and effective builds that are released leading up the full launch of a new version of the operating system.
Which in this case, is the upcoming Fall Creators Update, set for official arrival next month!
Anyway, getting back to the new feature in Windows 10 build 16291, it has something to do with the Resume from phones to PC with Cortana, where the digital assistant can now resume articles and news from your Android or iPhone handsets, right within the app.
This comes in addition to the existing ability where you can sync reminders, notifications and SMS messages across your devices to stay connected on the go.
Microsoft also polished things up a bit on the general changes and improvements front:
- We fixed an issue where sometimes after an upgrade Windows Update’s update history would be missing a listing for the feature update you’d just done.
- We fixed an issue where scrolling with touch or precision touchpads wasn’t working with the F12 Developer Tools.
- We fixed an issue where pin reset above lock (“I forgot my PIN”) would only work the first time the password was reset.
- We fixed an issue where Microsoft Edge would crash if you added a Favorite to a Favorites folder and then immediately sorted that folder by name.
- We fixed an issue with the indexer from recent flights that could result in Outlook 2016 search failing to index the body of messages.
- We fixed a recent issue resulting in the Skype UWP app not being launched if it was minimized when you clicked an incoming call notification.
Today’s build should also fix the pesky issue that Surface Pro 3 users were having, where they were unable to restart their PCs properly. The software titan has these instructions for them to recover.
Happy downloading, if you plan on deploying this build, and here’s to the next one!