So, just watched Ballmer and crew do their dance at CES 2011 in Vegas.
Here are the major takeaways from all this..
- Microsoft is working with multiple partners on the “Next version of Windows”.
- They plan to offer Windows in all form factors with “no compromise”.
- So far they are not showing any real UI changes for Windows 8.
- We don’t even know that the name for the next version of Windows will be “Windows 8”. they are not referring to it even casually.
- They seem to have some excitement in the Kinect area and XBOX Live etc.
- They seem excited about Windows Phone 7 but I am still not sold.
- Windows 8 will feel smooth and run fast on multiple platforms.
- They demoed Surface 2 and the new surface look and feel is pretty cool.
- We still have no idea what Windows 8 will look like.
- We have no idea what the timeline will be.
- It was a pretty good demo, uneven in spots but pretty cool.
- They demoed Iron Man 2 to show the stability of the Next Version of Windows and it was fine.
- I still believe this may be called Windows 365 by the time it’s all said and done.
- Microsoft do look like they have been innovating.
- Cool partnerships with Hulu, Netflix and ESPN.
- Interesting use of Kinect and a cool demo.
- New trend to watch out for use of Kinect “No controller needed” to fast forward or resume movies
- 8 million Kinects sold..
- Tons of Windows 7 license have been sold
It was a solid demo.
Nothing new to report on Windows 8 but worth the wait…
Remember, you should be able to watch this again here…
I’m off to bed..