We knew this was coming at some point and here they are.
The rumors have started to hit the web about the potential release date of Windows 8.
Some websites are reporting that there’s a leaked Microsoft road map out there revealing an August 2012 commercial launch schedule for Windows 8.
The sites are also saying that Windows 8 Beta will show up this January at CES 2012.
According to these reports:
- WinStore Beta will launch in January 2012.
- The Release Candidate for Windows 8 (RC) will roll out at MIX 2012.
- Windows Phone 8 Apollo expected in 2012 as well.
- Windows 8 RTM build is also expected to be released in June 2012.
- August 2012 – Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 launch.
The rumors even touch Windows 9 as well.
- Windows 9 developer preview is expected to go live during BUILD 2013.
- Windows 9 Release Candidate is slated to arrive during MIX 2014
- Windows 9 RTM build with Internet Explorer 12 during BUILD 2014
- Windows 9 Mobile debuts and go commercial in November 2014.
- Windows 9 will be due in 2014.
My take is that a lot of this is nonsense.
The only reasonable thing to take from this bag is that Windows 8 may launch next summer.
Summer makes sense because of all the tablet vendors making noises about launching tablets next fall.
Look out for more unsubstantiated rumors about the Windows 8 release date on the web.
It’s getting to that time of year. 🙂